According to Bowlby, what is an attachment and explain how are healthy attachments formed?
Write a 1500-word report exploring the different attachment issues that could exist in the case study provided Case study Kevin was born into a family where his parents struggled with alcohol addiction. When he was 12 months old his mother left him in an institutional nursery for 13 days. In this nursery, staff had little time to respond to his emotional needs.
When she returned to collect him, he avoided her and often displayed outbursts of anger. He was subsequently taken away from his alcoholic parents when he was 2 years old and permanently placed in institutional care. Further, he was adopt when he was 7 years old, but had a problematic relationship with his adoptive parents.
Moreover, he was violent towards his younger brothers and was often in trouble at school. His teachers said that ‘Kevin struggles with class work and seems to have little regard for the feelings of others.’ As he grew older Kevin had several run-ins with the police and had a short but troubled marriage, which ended in bitter court battles.
Use following questions to write your report:
1) According to Bowlby, what is an attachment and explain how are healthy attachments formed? (AC 1.1)
2) Evaluate Bowlby’s explanation of attachment, include relevant research findings. (AC 2.1)
3) Explain the type of attachment you think Kevin has. (AC 1.2)
4) Evaluate the impact of maternal deprivation on Kevin’s development. (AC 3.1)
5) What are effects of early care-giving relationships and its influence in later life? (AC 3.1)