Consider how Shakespeare’s work reflects the conventions and restrictions of the early modern theatre.
Write an essay on gender in the drama OR poetry on this course.
3) How does the literature of the early modern period respond to ideas of
authority? You may refer to verse AND drama in your answer.
4) Discuss some of the ways in which early modern poets engage with love,
desire and the erotic.
5) Write an essay on time and mutability in early modern verse OR drama.
6) How are doubt and anxiety represented in the literature that we have read in this module? You may refer to verse AND drama in your answer.
7) Discuss some of the ways in which women writers of the early modern period achieve a voice that is distinct from that of the male poetic tradition.
8) Produce a close reading of John Donne’s “Elegy 19”.
9) Discuss how early modern texts foreground the relationship of the human to the divine. You may refer to verse AND drama in your answer