Describe dow the historical roots of oppression affect the lives of people today
Describe dow the historical roots of oppression affect the lives of people today.
Pick one topic out of the following:
- Guilt – survivors and the children of survivors.
- The Nuremberg laws (you may note similarities to Jim Crow laws).
- The controversy surrounding the depiction of the Holocaust in MAUS and its place in the Canon of Holocaust Literature
- How the historical roots of oppression affect the lives of people today.
- In Maus morality and ethics seem fragile which brings up the question of whether there is any inherent good in human beings after all. Research ethical behavior in circumstances where survival is at stake.
- The history of comic books in the 20th century.
- MAUS: How the animals work as characters; how the text and graphic elements work together; Spiegelman’s process; etc.
- The genesis of MAUS.
- Concentration Camps
This essay your research paper will springboard from Art Spiegleman’s MAUS but the topic you choose will expand beyond the pages of the text. In some cases your introductory paragraph will explain how the topic relates to MAUS and that will be the only mention of Spiegelman’s book. In other cases you will want to refer to MAUS in your body paragraphs.
- MLA Format
- 1-2 pages
- In a paragraph state the topic you have chosen to write about and why this topic interests you.
- What theme/s of this topic will you be exploring? ex: If choose to write about the Holocaust pick one aspect of this tragic event that is depicted in MAUS.
- What will the focus of your research be? Where will you look for potential sources. BE SPECIFIC!