How useful are Marxist explanations of punishment in helping us understand contemporary punishment?
Critically discuss the use of electronic monitoring as an alternative to prison in the UK within a theoretical frame of your choosing
3. How can the use of fines to address road traffic offences be justified using relevant theories of punishment?
4. Critically discuss the emphasis on risk in probation work in relation to relevant theoretical explanations.
5. To what extent do cultural theories explain contemporary punishment?
6. Critically examine Foucault’s approach to punishment in the context of women’s short-term prison sentences.
7. Using relevant theory, critically examine the emergence and persistence of the use of life imprisonment.